As a participant of GISHWHES you agree to abide by the “Gishwhes Rules and Regulations” and the “Gishwhes Liability Waiver.” In addition to these agreements, you must strictly adhere to the following commandments. If you violate the rules and regulations or break a commandment, you and your team become eligible for immediate disqualification. Also, your children will be forever banned from participating in GISHWHES, and their children, and their children’s children. So listen up….
1. Registration - You are only permitted to compete in GISHWHES and be eligible for the grand prize if you register and electronically sign all registration documentation. Homo sapiens of any age may compete, but all participants must read the Gishwhes Rules and Regulations for details on their eligibility and Grand Prize attendance age requirements.
2. Rights - We intend to share your spectacular item submissions with the world. Therefore, by competing in the contest, you agree to the rights stipulations as detailed in the “Rules and Regulations” which you will agree to (or have agreed to if you’re an eager beaver) when you register. In addition to agreeing to these rights, you also agree that we may use your submissions as wallpaper and/or prayer flags for Misha’s moon castle (currently in development).
3. Nomenclature - From this point forward you shall use the word “GISHER” to refer to what was formerly known as “GISHWHESHEAN”. Anyone caught using the latter title on themselves or another GISHER (see, we just applied our rule) must name their offspring (or rename their nearest kin) “GISHWHESHEANISHER The Confused.”
4. Behavior during the Hunt - You are not permitted to physically, emotionally or psychologically hurt or attack yourself, another GISHER or anyone outside The Hunt. The only exception is as follows: If GISHWHES corporate identifies a person or entity as “An Enemy of Hunt” on the “Updates” page during the hunt you will be asked to use hexes and telekinesis to undermine them.
5. Breaking the Law - Some of the items in the Hunt may be illegal to perform in some corners of the world. It is your responsibility to assess the legality of your actions during the hunt. If you believe an item requires you to break the law to complete it, DON’T DO THAT ITEM. We neither have the patience nor the skillset to assess the Civil Code that governs 36,325 different municipalities and townships, so we leave it to you to know your local laws. In other words, (a) you are not permitted to break any law in attempt to scavenge an item and (b) Gishwhes will not be responsible if you break any law.
6. Scavenging Safety. First rule when scavenging: be safe. Second rule when scavenging: if you think you might hurt yourself doing something a good general rule of thumb would be to do a different item. Third rule when scavenging: snakes can either be venomous or just creepy. Assess which category of snake you have acquired before placing it under your clothing.
7. Decency - This Hunt has no tolerance for either decency or self-respect. If you have either, leave them at the door. You will be reborn with a new sense of decency and respect we like to call, “Abnosomeness” (i.e. abnormally awesome.)
8. Item Interpretation - Do not reinterpret items. Provide the item exactly as it is requested. If the item reads “A photo of you standing with the Queen of England,” we don’t want you in front of a picture of the Queen, or you in front of an action figure of the Queen. It must be a photo of you with the Royal Mum in the living flesh. If you choose to “interpret” you have a 97.67% chance of getting 0 points. We are serious about this. So if we ask for a photo of you somewhere, we don’t want a “photoshopped” version of this, we really want you in that location. However, because we don’t like to draw lines in the sand or hamper creativity, if your interpretation is a TRULY inspired combination of creative genius and hard work, we might award you a few points, but it would have to be outstanding in every way. Otherwise, you will get nothing. In the past, teams have been bumped out of first place for too much reinterpreting of items. We are looking for the actual thing we say we are asking for not a cheeky version of that thing.
9. Submissions Secret Tip #1 - Take in-focus pictures and videos. Be artistic. Artistic wins. Not artistic? Not a problem. You can still win by being precise! Do excellent on your submissions. We will award extra points for extra awesome submissions. The more beautiful, thoughtful and extraordinary your submission, the more bonus points we will assign to it.
10. Submissions Secret Tip #2 - Quantity won’t win this contest alone if the items aren’t precise. Quality is important. A lot of half-assed submissions will get you less points than slightly fewer well-executed items.
11. Submissions Secret Tip #3 - Have fun. If you’re having fun, making or doing an item, odds are the result will be great. In other words, before tackling an item, figure out how to make the process fun.
12. Submission Secret Tip #4 - Pay attention to the backgrounds of your images and videos. Composition counts.
13. Submission Secret Tip #5 - Make the judges laugh. They like granting points to people with a good sense of humor. One of them also likes licking the sides of taxis, but we digress.
14. Shatner Clause - Occasionally GISHWHES attracts “personalities” with massive social media followings that want to compete. We are thrilled by this development; tickled pink. We welcome them to join us in mayhem, but we want ordinary folk to know that they still have a good chance of winning – so here’s our policy: If a member of a GISHWHES team has a more than 100,000 social media followers or “likes” on any social media platform and who the judges deem to be a name of broad public recognition and that team wins GISHWHES, we will award THE GRAND PRIZE to TWO TEAMS. The highest scoring NON-CELEBRITY team will also be awarded the trip. If this should occur, we will be flying the entire “Celebrity” team and the entire runner-up non-celebrity team on the Grand Prize Trip. Once we arrive in said city, we will likely encourage bickering, drama and general discord between the two teams. We will also organize a nerfgun or water balloon fight, the winner of which, will be crowned the “GISHWHES GRAND MASTERS”
15. Former Winner Eligibility - No team may win two years in a row. Individuals that were on a Winning Team may, however, win two years in a row if during the second year they are on a Winning Team with no more than 3 other former winners. As long as the years are not consecutive, former Winning Teams may win again. Is this confusing? It should be. But it nonetheless applies.
16. Submissions Process - Submit Items by clicking on our “Item List” on our website (it will be posted when the Hunt begins), and then on the item you want to submit. Then follow instructions. You must submit as instructed or you will not be awarded points for that item.
17. Submission Formats - You need to submit your videos by providing links to them at http://www.youtube.com. Photo links must be submitted via http://imgur.com. Be sure to mark your videos “unlisted” on Youtube so that we can see them but no one else can. Unless otherwise specified video submissions can be NO LONGER than 15.7 seconds. They also can’t be boring or “artificially intelligent”.
18. Altering Photos/Videos - THIS IS IMPORTANT! Unless an item specifically asks for manipulation of photos or videos, you are not permitted to do so. Last year one of the top 3 scoring teams photoshop cheated on one of the items. They might otherwise have won GISHWHES III, but they were disqualified. We have several graphic designers on staff who can spot an expert job as easily as a rookie one. We also use photoshop-detecting software that identifies pixel manipulations as well as google image search and a logarithm of Misha’s own design that can catch all forgeries, so don’t screw with us on this point or you will be screwing yourself and your whole team.
19. Scoring - Each item will have a point value associated with it. The judges may assign additional points (up to 50% additional points) to items that are most excellently executed. We take artistic merit, precision and creative ingenuity into account here. Each year the winning team has submitted multiple items that have been granted extra points for awesomesauceness. Likewise we will award partial points (up to 50% of the original point value) for items that demonstrate an extremely good effort, but don’t quite achieve the item task.
20.a Don’t make that face. It’s not attractive.
21. Complaining - You shall not complain, gripe, whine, whinge, or lobby or bribe Misha Collins, Miss Jean Louis, or any of the GISHWHES staff or judges or volunteers. Use of our “Support” email must be as a last resort. Please visit our Q&A section prior to asking questions.
22. Understanding Items - If you aren’t exactly quite clear what we’re asking for with an item, we’re doing our job. You ARE NOT permitted to query our Support staff regarding the eligibility or interpretation of an item. Once they’re posted, it’s up to you to proceed.
23. Updates - You shall check GISHWHES’s Updates Page on a daily basis during the Hunt. Items may be added or removed from the list, or rules may be changed mid-hunt, so stay on it.
24. Social Media Outsourcing - Although we encourage you to reach out to family, friends, neighbors, students, teachers and your social media communities to assist you with gathering props, serving as additional bodies in your multi-person photos and videos, connecting you to people and places, and otherwise assisting you with the completion of the items, we expect YOU and YOUR TEAM to be the primary participants of each of the items. You are not permitted to crowd-source or purchase entire items from third-parties. We will be checking the Twitter/FB/Tumblr feeds of potential winning teams to see if team members have outsourced the completion of items. What does this mean? This means if you tweet to a thousand of your followers for someone to make you one of the items and deliver you the image or video, this submission would be ineligible. If we see multiple instances of this, your team may be disqualified. However, if you tweet that you’re looking for a Batman costume so you can borrow it to go to a Bingo night at your local rec center, we would enthusiastically accept the completed item. Use your head on this. If we see a bunch of submissions that have lots of people that aren’t on your team, you’re not following our commandments and you will be penalized. DO NOT email our support to ask questions regarding this commandment. You be the judge… and then we will.
25. Video/Image Plagiarism - You shall not submit any items that were created by another team. Any team that is caught submitting another team’s item shall be eligible for disqualification. You may not submit any items that were taken before this year’s hunt. You may not submit any items that trigger any gluten allergies or excessive abdominal gas with the viewer.
26. Dietary Restrictions - This year it is a “no guava/no liver/no fish taco” event. While we are loath to remove fish tacos from anyones diet for an entire week, our lawyers insist that this is a necessary precaution given the current state of the zodiac. As we cannot monitor all participants for the entirety of the hunt, we request that you spy on one another on our behalf in order to insure compliance.
27.a It’s right behind you. Now quit asking.
28. Scoring - Team scores shall be compiled by tallying up the total points accumulated assigned to the team’s item submissions by our judges. In our final judging, an item’s points may be increased or decreased based on the quality of the submission. Last year the winning team won by not only submitting items worth lots of points, but by accumulating bonus points for excellent submissions.
29. Content Sharing - You may not “share” your images or videos until after the Hunt, but you may not password-protect them either (we need to access them for judging). Violators will be attacked by Gishbot. YOU MAY (and we encourage you) share your images and videos 8 minutes and 34 seconds after the Hunt is finished (as indicated by the countdown clock).
30. Collaboration - As cold-hearted as this sounds, don’t collaborate with other teams. This is a competition. Each team has to execute each item on their own. If we find out that teams are collaborating you will get either fractional or no credit for the item.
31. Personal Hygiene - You are not permitted to cut or file your fingernails or toenails for the duration of the Hunt unless you have a note from a physician explaining the medical necessity of doing so.
32. Pleasure - Yes, we will permit it. Every other day.
33. Judging - Items shall be judged by 6 official GISHWHES Judges appointed by Misha Collins.
34. Teammate or Other Team Cheerleading - Yes. This is encouraged. It is actually the spirit of GISHWHES. If you do it, you will be surprised at how things improve for you both in your life and in the Hunt. At the very least it will make you look magnanimous and abnosome hearted. What’s not to like about that?
35. End of the Hunt - The Hunt shall end when the countdown clock reaches 00:00 and the Item List is removed from the GISHWHES website.
36.a I think, I’ll pass. Thank you for asking. Can you please return my bacon doll before you leave?
37. Arbitrary Rules and Constraints - May be placed on the Updates page during the course of the Hunt. Watch it daily.
38. Grand Prize - The judges will be selecting one or two winning teams. The entire winning team will be treated to an all expense paid 3-day adventure to Croatia to join Misha Collins. Prize winners will have airfare, accommodations, transportation and meals paid for. They will be treated like the royalty that they really are.
39. Referrer Prize - We shall also select one “Referrer” individual to join the Winning Team. Refer a friend (you can do so after you register). If they sign up, your name will be placed in a random drawing to join the Winning Team on the Grand Prize trip. The more you refer, the higher your chances of winning.
40. Runner Ups - We will select 5 (or more!) runner-up teams. These teams will receive accolades, prizes and the envy of everyone (except the winning team).
41. GISHWHES Hall of Fame - Think you have no chance of winning or even being a runner-up? Wrong! If you are convinced you won’t win the grand prize, you can still wow us! Select a handful of items to complete and make them the most amazing items the world has ever seen. If your team’s item is chosen as one of the best versions of that item by our judges, it (and your team) will be forever memorialized in the Gishwhes Hall of Fame. Your item and team name will be seen forever on our website and in a book we will periodically publish. These will be items that make the stuff of legends…
42. Advice - Be precise. Be creative. Be courageous. Be shameless. Be GISHWHES.